You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘felt cord’ tag.

Hello everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Well the daffodils are out, the clocks have gone back…it must be spring!!

Another part of spring is Mothers Day.ย  This year I made her a bouquet ofย  poseable felted flowers and a needle felted sheep.

Here are some pics:

View 1

View 1

View 2

View 2

View 3

View 3

View 4

View 4

View 5

View 5

Ideally I would have taken pictures of each individual flower for my reference, and one of the sheep but oh well, I should be able to at the end of April when I’ll be staying with my Mum for Wonderwool ๐Ÿ™‚

The flowers were made in a variety of ways but have the same base structure. What I mean by this is that:

1. The stems were all created by making a cord/rope around some relatively tough craft wire which I have from my jewellery making. To be honest this was very tricky. I was able to make a nice tight rope and leave one ‘brush’ end dry (to attach the stem to the flower)ย  but the other end suffered because, despite being ‘folded’ so not pointy or sharp it kept poking through the non brush end and slipping down. I remedied this by needle felting when dry but it’s a technique I need to perfect.

2. The flowers consist of (with varying degrees of decoration using complimetary colours in different patterns):

i) Shaped single layer pieces of felt, some of which had we felted balls needle felted to the centre.

ii) Individually felted petals all with dry brush ends. These ends then felted together and into the brush end of the stem.

iii) Multiple layers of shaped (ie rounded etc) felt needle felted together (with or without wet felted ball attached with felting needle to the centre).

All the flowers were attached to stems by wet felting the brush end onto the flower. The flowers were laid face down onto my work space, and I held the stem vertically over the centre with one hand whilst felting and fulling with the other. When it was sufficiently well held together I gently turned the whole thing the right way up and rolled between my hands as I would for a cord near the end stages.

Conclusion:

This was an excellent experiment to do! I’m very pleased that I’ve managed to make a technique I conjured up myself (clever me ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) work this well. I would like to try using pipe cleaners instead of craft wire for the stems but they seem to be hard to find! I’m hoping this will help prevent the wool from slipping over the wire and allowing it to slip out of the supposedly enclosed end.

They do stand up on their own, despite being quite long. Yay! As well as being able to bend the stems, the petals are also poseable to a degree, so you can make the flowers look more or less open.ย  The opportunity to experiment so widely and freely with flower design and techniques was fanastic, I’ve loved making them since I started making felt and I’ve learnt some new techniques and tips for them.

I realise that it can often be difficult to understand written explanations unless you’re aware of the feltmaking processes so I will try my very best to photograph my projects as I go from step to step for anyone reading.

Finally, a belated wish to any Mother reading that she had a wonderful day on Mothering Sunday. You’re all wonderful ๐Ÿ™‚

I haven’t posted for a while, but I have done some playing.

I did a couple of experimental pieces – one using silk cocoons and using wensleydale differently and one where I trapped small squares of fabric, yarn, beads and feathers (the feathers didn’t work at all!). But they are for a different post really as I haven’t photographed them yet.
So on to the point…

Flower necklace

Close Up

Necklace Without Flower

Flower Brooch

The first rope I made was too small to fit over my head if I made it continuous, so I left it as a single length. Then I made a continuous rope that was big enough. It looked a bit plain and I wanted to make use of my earlier mistake so I felted it onto the second rope. The effect this gave was lovely I think – 1/3 of it is 1 stranded and 2/3 is 2 stranded. It’s something I might not have thought of if I hadn’t made the error. Felt, how I love you!

Then I made some individual layers for my flower. I think the wool was corriedale. I got them to pre-felt stage but they looked a bit boring so I added some whisps of white merino to about half of them. Towards the end of the process I started trying to give them a bit of shape. I also made a merino ball to use in the center to tie in with the colour of the necklace.
Then I needle felted the layers together. I worked at this for quite a long time to ensure it was strong and to give the petals a bit more shape. I also needle felted in the ball to the centre.
Next came sewing on a pin to the back. I eventually got this right after first sewing the wrong side of the pin down, d’oh!

The result: Flower necklace with detachable corsage. I love it ๐Ÿ™‚